Dechroming, or chrome delete, is the most common trend to come from vinyl wrapping. It makes your vehicle look sleek, stylish and much more modern than chrome.
If you’re thinking of having your car dechromed, our expert team at Wheel Gods can help. With a wide variety of finishes and colours, we’ll make your car look and feel brand new.
What is car dechroming?
Car dechroming is the process of covering exposed chrome with a vinyl wrap, resulting in a sleek and stylish look.
It is most commonly done in a gloss or matte black finish, but there are garages who will accommodate most requests you may have.
Can I de-chrome my car myself?
Whilst it is possible for you to dechrome your car yourself, we always suggest leaving it to the professionals. Buying dechroming kits online may be a cheaper alternative, but you are likely to receive low quality products and incorrect pieces of equipment.
Applying the dechroming tape requires a lot of time, patience and specialist tools like heat guns, tacking tools and removal tools too.
How long does it take to dechrome a car?
Usually, it will take up to a day to dechrome a car.
However, the time scale depends on:
- The size of your vehicle.
- How much of the chrome you want covered.
- If there are any intricate elements that you wish to have dechromed, such as grills.
Car dechroming process
Experienced technicians will start by washing your whole car and wiping it dry. All of the chrome trim is then cleaned with isopropyl alcohol to remove all oils, wax and other surface debris that will affect how the vinyl will stick to the chrome.
Next, they will measure the length of the chrome trim that is going to be covered, carefully making sure each piece has some wiggle room to facilitate the assembly of the vinyl.
The backpaper is then removed and the vinyl wrap is laid flat against the chrome trim, slowly being stretched and shaped with a heat gun.
The excess vinyl is then carefully trimmed, with low pressure to ensure there is no damage to the chrome trim or rubber sealings. After each piece of chrome is covered, the car is left to sit to allow the vinyl glue to gain full strength.
What are the benefits of dechroming vehicles?
There are many benefits of dechroming vehicles, including:
- Aesthetic appeal. One of the primary benefits of dechroming a car is that it gives a sleek and modern finish, since matte or glossy wrap creates a more uniform and streamlined look.
- Customisation. Dechroming your car allows you to customise it however you like. You can choose from a variety of colours and finishes that create a unique look.
- Protection. The dechroming wrap provides an additional layer of protection for the vehicle's paintwork, which can help to prevent scratches and other minor damage.
- Resale value. Car dechroming can help to increase the resale value of your car. A well presented and maintained vehicle is likely to attract more buyers.